Lesson 1: The Beginning
Supplies: The Beginner’s Bible: Timeless Children’s Stories (younger children) Personal Bible (older children)
7 days of Creation Flash Cards
7 Days of Creation Foldup Sticker Craft
Preparation: For each child, fold a sheet of paper into 8 blocks as shown. Label each block as shown, then cut apart on the dotted lines. Write the key verse on the back of the Genesis 1:31 card. (Older children can make their own set.)
Key Learning: God made everything there is according to His plan.
Key Verse: God saw all that he had made, and it was very good. (Genesis 1:31)
Today’s Song: He’s Got the Whole World in His Hands (Sing each verse 3 times, end with "He's Got the Whole World in His Hands")
1. He’s got the Whole World in His hands
2. He’s got the Day and the Night in His hands
3. He’s got the Sea and the Sky in His hands
4. He’s got the Land and the Plants in His hands
5. He’s got the Sun, Moon and Stars in His hands
6. He’s got the Fish and the Birds in His hands
7. He’s got all of the Animals in His hands
8. He’s got Everybody Here in His hands
Younger Children: Read together “The Beginning” found on pages 7 to 13 in The Beginner’s Bible: Timeless Children’s Stories.
Older Children: Read Genesis chapter 1.
Everyone: As you finish the part of the story for each day of creation, illustrate or write words on the back of the Flash Cards as a reminder of what happened that day.
Family Discussion Questions about Genesis 1
1. What are some of your favorite things that God made?
2. Look at the picture of the earth from space. Do you think this is how God saw his work?
3. What can we learn about who God is by looking at what he made?
4. What questions do you have about how or what God created?
5. How well do you think we are taking care of the world that God created?
6. What can you do to help take care of the world that God made and help others to do the same?
Craft: Creation Fold-Up Sticker Scenes Fold the page into 7 strips.
At the bottom of each strip place Day 1, Day 2, . . . stickers in order.
Place the remaining stickers to match what God made each day:
Day 1: Day & Night
Day 2: Sea & Sky
Day 3: Dry Land & Plants
Day 4: Sun, Moon & Stars
Day 5: Sea Creatures & Birds
Day 6: Animals & People
Day 7: God Rested
Note how the items created on Days 4, 5, & 6 fill the environments created on Days 1, 2, & 3. Amazing!
Activity #1 Seven Days Challenge:
Study your flash cards until you can:
• line up the 7 illustrations on the back in the order they were created
• name what was made on each day as you look at the front of each card
• say Genesis 1:31 without looking
Activity #2 Alphabet Challenge:
Write a word for each letter of the alphabet that shows something that God created - can you complete all 26?
Or play the game where each person starts by saying, “In the beginning, God made”, then repeats the answers that came before and adds something for the next letter. For example, the fourth person might say, “In the beginning, God made apples, brown bears, comets, and he also made dolphins.”
Closing Prayer Time: Praise God for who He is and all He has done.